Saturday, April 6, 2013

Bali: Where the Spiritual Partying Never Stops

The sun was just about set as I was speeding through the jungle back to my hostel after a long day. The green lush surroundings blurred together like a solid canvas and all I could hear was the humming of my engine.

I turned a corner I'd turned several times before except this time I heard percussion, singing and laughter from inside the bush.





I pulled over and walked up the path to find about a hundred Indonesian villagers in their best dress gathered around an altar socializing.

I stood at the back of the crowd. Some older women noticed and motioned for me to come join them. I sat and observed.

Dogs ran free, kids played and ate ice cream, women and men chit-chatted in their prospective circles and in the middle of it all kneeled three old men in turbans mumbling prayers and lighting incense.



I was privy to one of the hundreds of festivals held in Bali each year. Some include just families and others involve the whole island. Explore on any given day and you're bound to happen upon one.

No comments:

Post a Comment