Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Vietnam: The Tailors of Hoi An


Hoi An is world-renowned for its custom-made clothing. Travel books tout the fun of strolling into a tailor in the morning, getting your measurements taken and picking up a specially made souvenir by the end of the day. I had to give it a go.

I picked the most respected shop in town for the job: Yaly.




I stepped out of a narrow alleyway into a factory of three hundred women buzzing between clients from all over the world: men getting fit for tuxedos, young girls eyeing the rainbow of silks lining the wall, European women flipping through couture magazines for something to replicate…



As soon as I walked in the door I was greeted by my seamstress. She ushered me to a station where I too could begin to imagine my dream outfit. I settled on a jacket I’d seen on Anthropologie’s website. Instead of a blue sheer fabric I requested it in fuschia velvet. Why not?




Sure enough 24 hours later I returned to the shop and was gifted my jacket exactly as I’d described. The bill rang $60.00. Another happy customer. 


No comments:

Post a Comment